Thursday 30 January 2014

Owning And Running A Second Hand Vauxhall / Opel Car

I have been looking for a cheap car to replace the Mazda 6 that my wife used to own.
This was recently written of in an accident and she needed a new car quickly so I told her to decide what sort of car she wanted this time.
After a bit of thought this is the list of things she wanted in her new car.


  • Something smaller than the Mazda 6
  • More economical than the Mazda
  • Cheap to buy
  • Room for 5 adults
  • A good size boot
  • Does not have to be sporty but not to "frumpy"
  • Not to old
  • Not a Diesel

So basically she wanted something smaller and easier to park in town but still have enough room for 5 adults and a big boot and be more economical to run than the Mazda.

After a quick look around she settled on a cheap 8 year old Vauxhall Meriva Design 1.8 ltr petrol in blue.
I had a quick look at it for her and although it was high mileage ( 122,000 miles ) it was a good runner with no nasty noises and it was very cheap.
It did need a bit of a tidy up and a few minor mechanical and cosmetic repairs but that didn't matter because, as she said "It was very cheap and obviously I could do all the bits that needed doing to it for free anyway" !

So I thought I would document on this blog my experiences running and repairing a cheap vauxhall vehicle good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment